Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mothers Day

As I sit here let me join the chorus of Happy Mother’s Day. I have been blessed by a wonderful mother, and an amazing wife. Congress should honor these two women. Anyone who can put up with me every day for any significant amount of time should be considered for canonization. This post is to honor both of them.

My mother, not only raised me, but she also put up with numerous career changes, and two separate trips to graduate school for totally unrelated courses of study. Heck, I couldn’t even commit to a region of the country for a while. Thankfully, I am now settled in South Florida for the duration.

My wife, Elizabeth, does an incredible job as the primary caregiver for Cassie. She is also a great wife. I help out a bit with the cooking, errands, and the occasional diaper change. But she does most of the housework, and I don’t thank her enough. Thankfully, Cassie appears to be progressing very well. Very often, she also helps me prepare for my day, by making suggestions on how to reach the kids, or being a sounding board to absorb some of the daily stress.

But my question is for all the talk of valuing families on both sides of the aisle, why is there only a day here, and in June, that people seem to notice? I work with severely emotionally disturbed kids. Most of them are being raised in group homes or other non traditional settings. Many of these kids would be much better off if only their home lives were better. Sometimes it is the parents who abandoned the children, but on more than one occasion, I’ve seen children who intimidate their parents. I will be the first to say that some of the issues are not related to parenting, but a good family definitely helps the situation in any setting. We should work as a country to value our families, and talk less of “family values”.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home