Thursday, January 11, 2007

We Miss You Buddy

Unfortunately, we had a death in the family this week. A car hit one of our cats. Below you will find my wife, Elizabeth, recounting her last memories of a beloved pet.

I feel so horrible. On the one hand we took very good care of him, but I feel so guilty about making him live outside despite my grave misgivings about it. He was a great cat and when the vet called us back tonight he was upset to hear of Buddy's death. He was a very popular patron there.

I must say that my last memory of him was quite comical. As Cassie and I left on Monday afternoon, Cassie wanted to pet him goodbye. As she went to do so - he peed right into a {land}crab's hole! I laughed as he scratched dirt into the hole and he looked at me with his impish cat grin. I think that's a darn good way to remember him.

Any advice on how to deal with the pain? I haven't lost a pet in a long time and this one is surprisingly painful. I am glad that Cassie's too young to ask questions about this. I thought that you might have some wise words.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

That's terrible news. Very, very sad. Hugs from me to all of you down there.

If you ever come to our neck of the woods, you can each have a few minutes with Max, Gratis. 8-)

7:26 AM  
Blogger George "Loki" Williams said...

My heart goes out to you. Our five cats are what got s throught the storm/exile/current aftermath. Please send me a picture and details that would want used and my cats wil put up a memorial on their blog (http://humidkitties.blogspot.com )

There is nothing that pains one quite like the loss of a four footed family member

4:15 PM  
Blogger Judy Thorne said...

I'm sorry for your loss.
It's a difficult thing to come to terms with, but having good memories help.

Here's a page with a few thoughts on the passing of quadroped family members.

http://www.angelfire.com/la3/judyb/pets.html

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home