Saturday, September 06, 2008


More useful Emails... again this is from WWL...

Officials admit there has been confusion on the topic, so we are trying to
simplify the matter.

First, do you live in one of the following parishes?

Acadia, Allen, Ascension, Assumption, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Cameron, East
Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson,
Jefferson Davis, Lafayette, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines,
Pointe Coupee, Rapides, Sabine, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St.
John the Baptist, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany,
Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Vermilion, Vernon, West Baton Rouge and West

If so, you may be eligible for help.

Next, were you under a mandatory evacuation? Or, did your home suffer
damage or become inhabitable due to loss of water, power or sewer? If you
answered 'yes' to one of these questions, you may be eligible.

To register, you can go to or call 1-800-621-FEMA. Later there
will be places to file in person.

FEMA Spokesman Ronnie Simpson says before the feds will pay anything, you
have to file with your insurance. FEMA picks up where insurance leaves
off. He also insists you keep all of your receipts. Many insurance
policies pay for hotel stays.

"If you don't have basic services... or if you had serious damage... we're
going to work with folks to make sure they are taken care of," Simpson
told WWL First News.

He says they are either making direct payments to hotels or paying

"You keep those receipts, and when it comes time to deal with FEMA in the
next few weeks, the next a month or so, you present those for receipts for
reimbursement," Simpson said.

When making a FEMA claim, be ready to provide a description of property
damage, name, address, social security number and then they will get an
inspector out to assess your home. You will be given a new FEMA number.
Do not use your Katrina FEMA number if you had one.

The FEMA assistance eligibility started Monday Sept. 1st. Expenses before
that are not eligible for repayment.

After your insurance has paid you, FEMA may pick up any additional cost of
minor home repairs to make your residence inhabitable.

If you have more substantial repair costs, FEMA will refer you to the
Small Business Administration for and SBA loan. Despite the name, the
agency does make personal loans to individuals.

FEMA can also assist in identifying other grants that may provide funding
for immediate needs including clothing, personal hygiene, bedding and
other items that you may have lost in the storm.

HUD may be able to provide rental assistance as well. That applies when
the damage to a home is so extensive that the owner can't live there
during repairs. That could be paid for up to a year and a half.

Other programs are designed to pay for medical expenses, car repairs,
counseling, disaster unemployment (including for self employed
individuals), legal assistance and mortgage assistance.

It all starts with going to or calling 1-800-621-FEMA and getting
your claim started.



Anonymous Ronnie said...

Ronnie Simpson didn't say you had to file with your insurance first, before FEMA assistance kicks in. What Ronnie Simpson said was, insurance is your first line of defence and and you should call your agent to get information from them. Folks also need to call 800-621-FEMA or go to to register.


10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ativan sale 5 mg ativan high - lorazepam 1mg take

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home